Thursday 8 October 2009

Pulse - manage your Eclipse installations

With the growing number of plugins in my Eclipse, I started feeling the "speed" of overpacked program. What's more, when I couldn't see all my settings in Preference window, I decided it's time to think about neccessity of each plugin. But instead of removing some of the plugins, I wanted to start from scratch. As always, I started at www.eclipse.org looking for the pre-packed download. But I found something that someone like me might find very useful - Pulse.

Pulse is "a product family that provides Solutions to obtain, configure, manage or ship Eclipse-based products." It helps you with selecting the desired Eclipse features, downloading it, installing, running, modifying, reinstalling and everything you might possibly think about. It all sounds very nice, but what's the reality? Well, I'm going to find out now. And you can do the same - just start by opening www.poweredbypulse.com this time.

1 comment:

  1. So, after some time of using Pulse, I guess the life is much easier without it. Although it gives you opportunity to easily set up your Eclipse environment, select plugins, and then just press Install, the result is not very good. The installation itself is quite slow (it downloads everything through some proxies), it's very difficult to add a plugin which is not listed in Pulse, and when you want to change any setting, you have to do it through the Pulse environment (which is actually a RCP application). Someone might like all the pros it has, but for me, the cons are much more significant, so I'll stay with a proven concept of installing (sorry, unpacking or copying ;-)) Eclipse.

    ReplyDelete